1. What is your job role?
Senior Quantity Surveyor
2. Briefly summarise what this entails?
Quantity Surveying is the commercial management of construction projects from conception through to final account, including value management, document preparation, tender negotiation, contract award, contract administration, claims and variation management and final account agreement.
3. Do you have a specialism in this role?
I am a specialist in subcontract management – building relationships with my subcontractors by up front and honest negotiation and achieving a win-win situation wherever possible.
4. How long have you worked in this industry?
5. Do you have a keen interest in one particular field in the industry?
With experience in Power Generation & Process Plants, I enjoy large Mechanical and Electrical projects the most.
6. What specialist training have you undertaken for your role?
OND/HNC in Building Studies and then multiple site and office based experiences.
7. Where did you complete this training?
Tottenham Technical College
8. How long have you worked at TRIQS?
Just over 3 years.
9. Whilst being with TRIQS how has your career developed?
My computer skills on Excel have improved greatly due to my development of a more efficient method of value management over the last 3 years.
10. Whilst being at TRIQS can you describe some of the projects you have worked on previously?
Up until very recently, my main responsibility has been producing the estimates for Stage 1 Value Management for Highways England Areas 6 & 8 contracts.
11. What is the best thing about working for TRIQS?
I feel a part of the company and that any issues that I have will be taken seriously and a suitable solution found where possible.
12. What has been your career highlight this far?
Writing the bespoke Subcontract for Lurgi GmbH and then Air Liquide that is now being used globally. The Lurgi subcontract was then successfully used on the Heracles Rotterdam SMR contract, which despite being delayed by over 9 months due to a piling miscalculation, was still completed on time, under budget and the final accounts (including claims) were all finalised within 3 weeks of the end of commissioning (PAC).
13. What are your career aims for the future?
Be part of the TRIQS expansion into other sectors in other parts of the world.
14. Tell us something that people don’t know about you?
I went on tiger safari in India and never saw a tiger. I then went to an Arabic barbecue in the desert near Dubai, and saw the extremely rare and endangered Arabian Leopard in the wild.