1. What is your job role?
Assistant Quantity Surveyor
2. Briefly summarise what this entails?
To assist in the provision of quantity surveying and commercial services whilst ensuring professional stature in accordance with the company standards, processes and procedures and statute. On a day to day basis I assist with managing costs, finding substantiation and final accounting.
3. Do you have a specialism in this role?
My experience to date has been largely on projects in civil engineering and highways
4. How long have you worked in this industry?
Nearly 2 years
5. Do you have a keen interest in one particular field in the industry?
At the minute I am just absorbing everything and learning as much as possible so nothing in particular at the moment.
6. What specialist training have you undertaken for your role?
I am currently working towards obtaining a BSc honours degree in Quantity Surveying at UCEM as part of the new apprentice scheme, I am also at the start of my APC.
7. How long have you worked at TRIQS?
I began working with TRIQS in July 2016
8. Whilst being with TRIQS how has your career developed?
I have gained experience working for CJ Furey on civil engineering projects around the West Midlands and I am currently working with Amey on Area 7. During this time I have developed both personally and professionally. During this time I have been able to manage working full time whilst studying towards my degree, I have now completed my second year successfully.
9. Whilst being at TRIQS can you describe some of the projects you have worked on previously?
For the past year I have been working on an operation and maintenance contract covering civil engineering and highway works as part of a commercial team administering the jobs on site. Prior to this I worked on various onsite groundworks projects gaining experience in civil engineering.
10. What is the best thing about working for TRIQS?
I believe the best thing about working with TRIQS is the support I receive from the Business Team with regards to any personal and professional issues I have been faced with.
I am also very grateful for the opportunities they have given me which has enabled me to be able to learn valuable work experience whilst working towards my degree at the same time.
11. What has been your career highlight this far?
To date my career highlight has been passing my first 2 years at university whist working on interesting and complex projects.
12. What are your career aims for the future?
Within the next 5 years I would like to be a chartered quantity surveyor following the successful completion of the Chartered Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship. Within this time, I would also like to of gained as much experience as possible in a number of sectors.
13. Tell us something that people don’t know about you?
I love to box in my spare time and I have competed all over the country at a national level